• العربية
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Live TV
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Live TV
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • فارسی
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Live TV
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

War-hit homeowners feel abandoned as Iran’s reconstruction aid fades

Behrouz Turani
Behrouz Turani

Iran International

Apr 20, 2026, 04:56 GMT+1
A painting remains unscathed in a residential building hit by US-Israeli strikes, in Karaj, Iran, April 3, 2026
A painting remains unscathed in a residential building hit by US-Israeli strikes, in Karaj, Iran, April 3, 2026

The Iranian government has stepped back from earlier promises to compensate homeowners whose properties were destroyed in US-Israeli strikes, triggering anger among residents who expected the state to take responsibility for rebuilding.

Reports from Tehran suggest the government’s new reconstruction plan has created a deep sense of abandonment among citizens who assumed war-related destruction caused by a national conflict would be covered by the state.

On Thursday, the Iranian Labor News Agency (ILNA) quoted Tehran Province official Mohammad Sadeq Motamedian as saying that “nearly 40,000 residential units across Tehran Province have been damaged.”

Earlier, Donya-ye Eghtesad reported that the Ministry of Roads and Urban Development estimated roughly 45,000 residential and non-residential units were damaged during the March war but did not require demolition, while nearly 1,000 units needed full reconstruction.

Motamedian’s assessment has intensified debate over the true scale of destruction and the government’s approach to rebuilding.

In Tehran, Mayor Alireza Zakani had previously promised full reconstruction of ruined homes and restoration of damaged buildings, but there has been little clarity on how much progress has been made.

The government’s reconstruction strategy became more controversial after spokesperson Fatemeh Mohajerani said on April 15 that the administration would not provide direct financial assistance to rebuild destroyed homes.

Instead, she said the government would offer what officials call “floating density,” a system of additional building permits intended to encourage private developers to help reconstruct damaged housing.

Under the plan, builders could reconstruct damaged or destroyed homes in exchange for permission to add one or two additional floors to new buildings, which they would then be allowed to sell for profit.

Critics say the proposal is unrealistic. Density bonuses cannot compensate families who have lost their homes, especially at a time when construction costs are soaring.

For many displaced households, the absence of direct financial support raises serious questions about how reconstruction could realistically proceed.

Government bodies have also released widely differing figures about the scale of damage. Some officials have suggested only a few thousand homes were affected, while others have put the number in the tens of thousands.

Donya-ye Eghtesad noted that estimates range from about 1,000 homes requiring full reconstruction to tens of thousands with varying levels of damage, leaving residents uncertain about the true scale of destruction and the level of support they can expect.

The discrepancies have fueled speculation that the government may be downplaying the extent of war damage in order to limit financial obligations, reinforcing broader criticism of opaque communication during and after the conflict.

Most Viewed

Canada deports former Iranian official linked to 2019 protest crackdown
1

Canada deports former Iranian official linked to 2019 protest crackdown

2

Iran weighs attacks on military targets in Europe – FT

3
ANALYSIS

The 60-day deadline is over. Now what does Trump do with Iran?

4
INSIGHT

Forced to serve in the IRGC, now fighting to stay in Canada

5
OPINION

For Iranian journalists, exile can last a lifetime

Banner
Banner
Banner

Spotlight

  • Luxury Tehran property asking prices surpass Munich and Sydney

    Luxury Tehran property asking prices surpass Munich and Sydney

  • For Iranian journalists, exile can last a lifetime
    OPINION

    For Iranian journalists, exile can last a lifetime

  • Seven months on, January protests still shape Iranians’ lives
    VOICES FROM IRAN

    Seven months on, January protests still shape Iranians’ lives

  • Forced to serve in the IRGC, now fighting to stay in Canada
    INSIGHT

    Forced to serve in the IRGC, now fighting to stay in Canada

  • Iran’s ‘infiltration’ bill sparks backlash over sweeping reach

    Iran’s ‘infiltration’ bill sparks backlash over sweeping reach

  • To survive maximum pressure, Iran kept pumping and broke its oil company
    ANALYSIS

    To survive maximum pressure, Iran kept pumping and broke its oil company